Even though I started web developing in 1994 (crazy huh), and have been trained in search engine optimization by Bruce Clay himself (good seminars, well catered and conveniently located near the Reagan Library - worth the trip) I have never run an Adsense campaign on one of my own domains. So tonight I began an experiment. Using some web space I have handy, and an idle domain, buyablimp.com (my interests are varied and I really had a project in mind for this, but alas, not so much anymore). So now I have the beginnings of a resource for blimps, dirigibles, hot air balloons and other lighter than air craft. I did some quick googling for preliminary content - some wikipedia references, goodyear blimp, that sort of thing - and have a rudimentary scultping plan. Also, I have applied for an Adsense campaign and am awaiting the verification process; of course, I'm tracking with Google Analytics (even though I am sympathetic to the folks at Scroogle, my favorite behavioral searching scrubber, the business realities of needing analytics on budget win out over my latent paranoia).
The PlanThis will be an experiment to see how relevant I can make buyablimp.com in the Google index. My keyword targets will evolve, however, I will start simply and boldly with "blimps" and then evolve to match the observed search terms. I will use this as a test bed to examine Google Website Optimizer, sculpting techniques and marketing efforts. The only constraints that I am placing is that I will not inject any money into the project (though if the adsense turns anything, I will likely reinvest that into the site in the form of giveaways and promotionals) and I won't do anything that can be considered "black hat"; the goal is take away from this some lessons that I can apply to any site.
So, to quickly recap and summarize the starting position: